Because I cannot get under 140 characters, I am putting this tweet into the blog…
Rather than cutting off award winners — even tapping them on the back to signal times up — why not cut some of the song and dance numbers that plaque the show? Make the winners the priority, not the side shows.
And the Oscars continue a slide toward the crass. Was that Ted skit and presentation really needed? Jokes about sex and religion…kind of tacky, especially for a show you hope strives for class.
However perhaps nothing tops The Onion’s twitter faux pas. A tweet that nine-year-old actress Quenzhane Wallis is a cunt. My oh my oh my…The Onion has been off its game for a while and tonight’s tweets were mostly flat or at best bizarre (which is part of the schtik, I suppose), but this crosses the line.
The highlight? Well, I am a Anne Hathaway fan, have been ever since I saw Peter Pan as a little boy, and tonight Anne did nothing but reassure me in that desire.
- Oscars 2013: Anne Hathaway’s Nipple Gets Its Own Twitter Account (aceshowbiz.com)
- The Onion’s Vile Quenzhane Wallis Tweet (huffingtonpost.com)
- Seth MacFarlane cracks Lincoln assassination joke at Oscars (blogs.suntimes.com)
- Too Soon? MacFarlane’s Lincoln Assassination Joke Gets Oscar Groans (mediaite.com)
- Oscar Telecast To Be Available Online For The First Time (deadline.com)